Buncrana meaning "foot of the (River) Crana") is a town in Donegal, Ireland. It is beside Lough Swilly on the Inishowen peninsula, 14 miles north of Derry and 27 miles north of Letterkenny.
Buncrana is the historic home of the O'Doherty clan and originally developed around the defensive tower known as O'Doherty's Keep at the mouth of the River Crana. The town moved to its present location just south of the River Crana when George Vaughan built the main street in 1718.
The town was a major centre for the textile industry in County Donegal from the 19th century until the mid-2000s (decade).
For keen golfers Buncrana Golf Club is certainly worth a visit